Elector Selection

joereform

SLEC Member
I know most of us are still recovering from travel, and the "changing of the guard" may have not happened at the time of this post, but I wanted to start the discussion on selecting our presidential electors. As I understand it, there is a firm deadline for this to be handles, and the convention body voted for SLEC to take care of it.

On the one hand, I feel we should not be devoting too much time to wringing our hands over who will not end up going to Austin when Texas doesn't "turn gold" in November. On the other hand, we should honor those who expressed an interest in taking on this responsibility and fulfill our duty to present a list of 40 electors.

So, here's what my initial thoughts are: assuming that the 33 people who filled out the interest form are legally qualified to serve as electors, all of them should be appointed by us without objection. The remaining seven can be selected among those on SLEC who are legally qualified and who are confident that they theoretically could travel to vote in Austin on December 16.

I recommend that we let this sit for a few as the new members get onboarded and the retirees are removed. I just encourage the committee to remember that this process need not be a "whole thing," because we are, in the end, dealing with hypotheticals.

I know most of us are still recovering from travel, and the "changing of the guard" may have not happened at the time of this post, but I wanted to start the discussion on selecting our presidential electors. As I understand it, there is a firm deadline for this to be handles, and the convention body voted for SLEC to take care of it.

On the one hand, I feel we should not be devoting too much time to wringing our hands over who will not end up going to Austin when Texas doesn't "turn gold" in November. On the other hand, we should honor those who expressed an interest in taking on this responsibility and fulfill our duty to present a list of 40 electors.

So, here's what my initial thoughts are: assuming that the 33 people who filled out the interest form are legally qualified to serve as electors, all of them should be appointed by us without objection. The remaining seven can be selected among those on SLEC who are legally qualified and who are confident that they theoretically could travel to vote in Austin on December 16.

I recommend that we let this sit for a few as the new members get onboarded and the retirees are removed. I just encourage the committee to remember that this process need not be a "whole thing," because we are, in the end, dealing with hypotheticals.
I generally agree Joe. So long as the 33 people who filled out the interest form are legally qualified, as you said, I'm onboard. And I agree with your call for patience as we get our newest members onboarded.

Back